How is your New Year clean out going?
Not your New Years resolutions, I mean the normal minutiae you need to clean up.
The list of items needing to be cleaned out for the New Year began to grow overwhelmingly long and time consuming for me:
Apps on phone
This is going to take me all year!
Next, I wrote down a really tough one:
Throw out all the bad food…or just eat it all, so it’s out of my sight!
Financial tracking and spending – keep a tighter budget!
Time spent in The Void (the spaces in between everything where time can vanish or be spent well) such as:
- Waiting in the car for the kids to come out of the school
- What happens in between phone calls
- Switch-tasking (a Dave Crenshaw phrase) between one task to another…or do I still convince myself I’m a great multitasker?
- Friends on Social Media – my friend, Heidi Totten, preaches, “If you faithfully click on a Facebook friend the day of their birthday, and have nothing personal to say to them, it’s time to make some new friends.” This is sage advice for de-cluttering your feed and having actual social media friendships.
- Friends in Real Life – Who are bringing light, life, and joy to you? Who are weighing you down and need to have new boundaries or released into the proverbial wild? Who challenge you to become better, or just make you feel bad?
- Friends who have become Foes – Has a friendship run it’s course? Is their influence on you for the positive or negative? Do you celebrate in their success, and they in yours, or is it one sided?
What did I miss?
Please add your thoughts and suggestions in the comments!
The Promise to clean out our lives is what will bring us peace and fulfillment, space to breathe, and opportunities to make clearer promises that we can keep with more consistency.
What do you Promise to begin to clean out today?
As for me, I’ll be eating all this bad food while I go buy all the healthy food…
~ Jason Hewlett
Husband, Father, Writer, Mentor, Hiker
- Speaker Hall of Fame * Award-Winning Entertainer * Promise Legacy Project Coach
- World’s Only Keynote Speaker utilizing entertainment, musical impressions, and comedy to Create Legendary Leadership through the Power of Commitment
- Author of “The Promise To The One”